Journal 2

 Honestly, I only recently started to use Microsoft Word in the past few years, while I've used Google Docs more as I'm usually on Google Chrome so it's quite convenient to type out an assignment using GD. With more time-heavy pieces that require more attention like short stories, or final portfolios, I tend to use MS Word more. It seems more professional to me, and the dark mode on there makes it fun to write. I can say that since I've gotten to FSU, I've used MS Word a lot more since the professors and the school seem to encourage it to students more than they did in high school. 


The standard that stuck out to me the most from the ISTE Standards for Educators was 2.3 Collaborator. When you've been in school so long and the lessons start to blend together, it makes you think about what the information you're being taught is worth and how can this apply in the 'real world'. This standard promises that professors strive to not only teach from a book but also how it can help studies outside the classroom solve daily problems. I think that's the most important about school, how does this really help you outside of it?


To start off, I wish that 'native' and 'immigrant' weren't used in this terminology describing those more advanced/comfortable with technology, and those who aren't as adept. It seems almost political in that way, when terms like amateur and professional can be used, et cetera. Nevertheless, I do understand what is being said about this sort of divide. For example, a professor of mine last semester could be coined as a 'digital immigrant'. She was allergic to anything remotely technology during class instruction so we had all our paper tests, printed out readings, and only used the computer for our final project if it was completely necessary. I found that we actually did pay attention to class more in this way, but it does feel off-putting and cliche to be so against technology when in reality it can help save time and money for the students, as I had to buy a lot of things for that class. I think future students will take the technology that we have now and make it even more adaptable and easy to use for people of all generations, as it does have its perks and should be utilized. 

Comments

  1. Hi, Mia. I appreciate you have a critical views for digital natives and immigrants. In fact, in recent debate stages of digital natives, some researchers have raised objections for these two concept. They began to grasp just how complex the issues related to the so-called digital native are. One noted researcher describes the problem as more akin to a question of literacy—and therefore a question of access because of a lack of literacy—than to issues related to a user's age (Warschauer, 2002). Jean Twenge called the modern generation iGen in stead of digital natives, which is a cohort whom she categorizes as being born between 1995 and 2012. You may be interested in the following materials:
    Warschauer, M. (2002). Reconceptualizing the digital divide. First Monday, 7(7), 1–11.
    Twenge, J. M. (2017). Have smartphones destroyed a generation? The Atlantic, 20 (September 2017), https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Avery's reply: Hi Mia! I similarly throughout my education had used Google doc a lot more in my earlier education, however with my transition these past few years in college I started to use Microsoft a lot more. Microsoft tends to be integrated a lot with professors to be able to use and how we submit assignments. Depending on the different platforms you use they both help with writing, projects, and putting together assignments and I think all students can benefit from the integration of Google Docs and Microsoft in their learning platform.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #4

A Few Things About Me

Blog Journal #3